ACADEMY CENTRE TRAINING 2021
Bedfordshire Hockey runs 6 Academy Centre (AC) training squads:
- U13 Boys & U13 Girls; U15 Boys & U15 Girls; U17 Boys & U17 Girls
- Squad size: approx. 20 players of which 2/3 are Goal Keepers
- Competition Format:
- U13s: 7-a-side, up to 2 squads of 10 players
- U15s & U17s: 11-a-side, 1 squad of up to 16 players
- Age Bands: aligned with clubs and schools activity from 1 September 2021, as below
Academy Centre Coaching Structure:
- Program delivery overseen by Bedfordshire Hockey’s Director of Coaching;
- Each squad has dedicated Lead Coach and Assistant Coach for training and tournaments, with additional coaches allocated as required to maintain quality player to coach ratios;
- GKs fully integrated into training with specialist GK coaching also available;
- Bedfordshire Hockey is committed to providing the best learning environment for players and to including junior coaches in developing roles.
Academy Centre Schedule:
- Training Venue: Bedford Hockey Centre, Chester Road, Bedford MK40 4HL
- Training Times: 7 – 9 pm Mondays (Sept – Feb/March)
- Number of sessions: 5 x 2hr training sessions per squad, (approx. 1 session per month)
- Tournaments: friendly fixtures and Finals Days played on Sundays at various venues within East Region (Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambs, Beds, Herts, Essex, Lincs)
Academy Centre Training Cost:
- £135 per player to cover training
- additional tournament fee of £10 per player per tournament. Fees should not be a reason to decline a place. Please email us email@example.com in confidence and we will provide additional support.
Academy Centre Kit:
- Black match shirt, black skort (girls) / white shorts (boys), black / white hooped socks;
- approx. cost £50 for t-shirt, socks, mid-layer fleece (additional, non-essential items also available)
Academy Centre Assessment:
- Players are nominated for assessment by Club, School or Bedfordshire Hockey Coaches. Nominations are sent to players at end of June. Players must register by 16 July;
- Assessment dates for 2021/22 Season are Sunday 5th September (U15), Monday (evening) 6th September (U17) and Sunday 12th September (U13);
- Format: 3 hours on pitch. Players are assessed whilst participating in 4 different activities and during match play; each player will be assessed by up to 7 different coaches during the session. Selection decisions are based solely on players’ performance at the session. Our coaches look for excellent work rate and positive attitude as well as technical skills.
- Assessment Cost: £25 including playing shirt
- Assessment Outcomes are notified within a week of assessment date;
ENGLAND HOCKEY PLAYER PATHWAY REGISTRATION
All players must be registered online for England Hockey Player Pathway activity. To sign up (new players) or access your profile, please visit:
Fees are set to encourage participation and should not be a reason to decline a place. Please email us and we will provide additional support. Fees are payable via your England Hockey player profile using GoCardless.
fees for our Development Camp, Academy Centres (and assessments) can be found above and using DC tab.
Covid Safety Guidance for training commencing 29 March 2021
Covid Safety Guidance will be updated as appropriate in advance of Development Camp planned in August and Academy Centre activity commencing in September.
Bedfordshire hockey Code of Conduct:
The success of the Bedfordshire Hockey depends on developing a positive and safe environment, where everyone is treated with respect and everyone takes responsibility for their own behaviour. All players at Development Centre, during the Assessment Day and at the Academy Centre is being asked to follow code of conduct:
- FAIR PLAY – Treat others with the same respect and fairness that you would like them to show you. Demonstrate “Fair Play” on and off the field.
- EQUALITY – Respect differences in gender, disability, culture, race, ethnicity, and religious belief systems between yourself and others. Challenge discrimination and prejudice.
- INCLUSIVENESS AND TOLERANCE – Appreciate that all participants bring something valuable and different to the County hockey. Value and learn from the diversity of people you meet and show patience with others and act with dignity at all times.
- RESPONSIBILITY – Look out for yourself and the welfare of others. Do not engage in any irresponsible or illegal behaviour. Challenge behaviour that falls below the expected standards of the County hockey. Speak out if you are concerned about anything or if you feel uncomfortable about your own needs and those of others: be organised and on time.
- FRIENDSHIP – Take time to thank those who help you take part – whether family, organisations or team mates.
Breaches of the code of conduct will be dealt with through disciplinary procedures a serious breach will result in an athlete being removed from Development Centre, Assessment Day or Academy Centre.
Our Players are aware that they are ambassadors for their family, county and sport, and take full responsibility for their actions.
Our players will not:
- Possess or consume alcohol or illegal and performance enhancing drugs
- Use foul or abusive language
- Tolerate or be involved in discrimination of any kind
- Engage in any inappropriate behaviour, on and off the pitch and online
For more information on England Hockey Safeguarding Policy please go to: SafeD | England Hockey
BEDFORD HOCKEY CENTRE - SITE INFORMATION JAN-AUG 2021
The information is subject to change due to additional Covid regulations in place at any given time. Separate guidance can be found
Bedford Hockey Centre, Chester Road, Bedford MK40 4HL
Available at Bedford Hockey Centre but at peak times, please also use Biddenham International School, MK40 4AZ (accessed off Biddenham Turn) and use footpath to walk across playing fields. Players must be accompanied by parents when walking to and from Bedford Hockey Centre. There is a gated fence across the path by the pitches, this will be unlocked for the duration of training. Players are asked to shut the gate after use but please do not touch padlock. Map at end of site information.
Please respect other users of the car parks and be considerate – one car per parking bay. Please respect our neighbours in residential areas and do not park roadside.
We will be using the 2 astro pitches directly next to the Hockey Centre. Players are not permitted on pitch unless accompanied by a coach. Players must not play with hockey balls on grass areas surrounding pitch. During evening training sessions, the floodlights will be turned off as soon as players exit the pitch.
The first pitch (nearest Hockey Centre) has a designated spectator area. The second pitch (furthest from Hockey Centre) does not have a spectator area, so for safety reasons, all spectators must watch from outside the cage. Only coaches and players are permitted within the pitch areas. There is no spectator shelter (except within Hockey Centre) so bring sufficient wet weather clothing (and sunscreen depending on weather conditions).
Should you wish to take your own photographs please ensure you have signed the appropriate registration form which will be held by the Coaches and/or Centre Administrators within the Hockey Centre. Bedfordshire Hockey promotes positive imagery and we ask parents, family, carers and supporters to help us achieve this. For those on the sidelines wishing to take images of the action, we ask you to consider where you post your images. If sharing on social media, we strongly recommend that U18s cannot be identified by name. You may be taking/sharing images of other people’s children so please exercise care.
Hot drinks will be available at evening training sessions. [The bar may be open (crisps, chocolate and soft drinks) during day training sessions. Bacon sandwiches may be available during morning sessions.]
Players – please be guided by what your coach advises you is nutritionally acceptable.
Any litter you have MUST be placed in the appropriate bins. Please take great care in taking all rubbish with you and under no circumstances should water bottles etc be left round the pitch. If you see someone throwing rubbish, take the lead and ask them to put it in the bin. Remember it is not only your personal image that is on the line but also that of England Hockey. If the bins are full please inform the Hockey Centre and use bins within the Centre.
CHANGING ROOMS & TOILETS:
The changing rooms can be found within the Hockey Centre.
FIRST AID KITS:
First Aid Kits will be pitch side during training under the control of the respective Coaches/Managers.
In the unlikely event that a serious injury occurs the local hospital is Bedford Hospital (South Wing), Kempston Road, Bedford MK42 9DJ
Driving Directions to Bedford Hospital
- Take Old Ford End Rd and Ford End Rd to Prebend St/A5141
- Continue on A5141 to S Wing Hospital
- At the roundabout, take the 4th exit onto Prebend St/A5141
- Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto Cauldwell St/A5141
- Continue onto Kempston Rd/B531
- Continue on S Wing Hospital to your destination
- Head north-east on Biddenham Turn towards Darlow Dr
- Turn right onto Bromham Rd/A4280
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Ashburnham Rd/A5141
- At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Midland Rd/A5141
- At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Prebend St/A5141
Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto Cauldwell St/A5141
Continue onto Kempston Rd/B531
- Continue on S Wing Hospital to your destination
- Please do not run around the grounds or the Hockey Centre – running can lead to injury. Do not leave the site at any time during the session. Leave plenty of time to get to your pitch.
- Pay attention to information that comes from your Coaches or Centre Manager.
- Please ensure you bring plenty of fluids with you for the day and/or evening.
- Please bring sunscreen, warm and waterproof clothing to all sessions as weather conditions may vary during the course of the day. Layers work well so that you can add/remove clothing as appropriate.